Philadelphia was a GREAT place. I pride myself on researching thoroughly before I go ANYWHERE. However, there were a few things I wish I’d known prior to going to Philly. Hope these help you!
- BRING CASH. LOTS OF CASH. So many places here only take cash. Store, restaurants, food stands. Cash only.
- Prepare for Beggars. Philly has an INSANE amount of homeless people wandering around at any given moment. I never felt threatened, but they are everywhere, and they WILL ask you to donate to their cause.
- Bring walking shoes (and wear them!). We stayed at a hotel in City Center, and most things were within a mile from the hotel. However, those .4-.5mile walks add up quickly! If you are exploring Philly on foot (and you are easily distracted, like myself), be prepared to walk a good 5 miles a day. I did this in sandals, and my feet were not pleased.
- Sunscreen: It is HOT during the summer in Philly. VERY HOT. Surprisingly hot. I’m from Texas, and Philly is giving us a run for our money. I expected that since it is further north, it wouldn’t be as hot, but I was terribly, TERRIBLY mistaken.
- Food Delivery! There are TONS of Philly restaurants that deliver for free or a nominal fee. Pizza, Italian, Subway, Asian food, anything your heart desires can be delivered right to your hotel, even in the middle of the night!
- BYOB: Many Philadelphia restaurants are Bring Your Own Bottle. I’m not a drinker, but if I was, this is GREAT news. You don’t have to worry about the overpriced, watered down drinks. Just bring your own.
- Phlash Bus: After days of wandering Philly on foot, we decided to take advantage of this Philly gem. If you are staying in the touristy area of Philly – From the Museum of Art to Penn’s Landing, this bus has 20+ stops along the way. $5 and you can hop on and off all day. A welcome change from the 5 mile walks